Universal Life Church Seminary Students

This is a list of our seminary students with the Universal Life Church. If you've signed up as a seminary student and wish to be listed on the site, please send me your info and I'll get you added.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Universal Life Church

Pastor Keola G.A. Downing, PhD -- Ordained Feb. 4, 1990
Aloha Amy,

I need to up date my own records too. :-) I am not sure of the date that I was ordained, so if you have that data, I will trust your dates.  If that information is gone, the best date I could remember is around 1990.

I decided to become ordained at ULC, when I first heard that it could be done over the (new to me) Internet.  I remember that the reason I was so keen on having the documentation was so that if I was asked to officiate at a marriage or a funeral, I would be re-assuring to the family or couple having the event as a real Pastor.  I have studied the ancient and modern religious philosophies for many years, and always wondered if my calling to service was just my imagination or if it was based on the will of spirit.  In truth, I know that the need for good guidance was something that was very clear to me, but people often need the re-assurance of ordination documents.  I decided to take the leap and become officially a Lay Pastor for those in need.

I never actually used the ordination very much, continuing on in service without any need for paperwork.   I am today the moderator of our Hilo Marshallese Ministry UCC, a normal United Church of Christ congregation in America.  For the Marshallese people the Pastor must be an ordained minister of the Marshall Islands Conference of the United Church of Christ.

Over time, both the Pastor of Hilo Marshallese Ministry and I realized that he had to break away from the Marshall Islands Conference, due to their lack of support for our mission here in Hawai`i.  I helped Rev. Johnson Jetton become the first Marshallese ordained Ministers to obtain standing with the Hawai`i Conference of the United Church of Christ.  Although I became a deacon, and then the moderator of the Church, I never wanted to give up my ULC standing, and have continued to serve without need to change my own ordination.

I know that those who have spent 4 years or more to become ordained in the United Church of Christ might not understand the individual and personal ordination status of those who have gone the ULC path.  I don't even mention it today, but instead serve as a strong partner with Rev. Jetton.  I was asked to become a deacon, and finally agreed to do so, and today I continue in that service.  We are partners with the United Community Church UCC located in Hilo on the Big Island of Hawai`i.  Although nobody really knows I am ordained with ULC I do serve as a strong member of that Church as well.  We are today "between" pastors at United Community Church, and on occasion I serve as a Lay Reader, and last Sunday I was asked to give the sermon. It is my joy to be able to help people who find such joy in helping our little Marshallese congregation.  Last week Rev. Jetton and I attended the 188th Aha Pae`aina (the annual meeting of the entire Hawai`i Conference of about 130 Churches) At the closing day of that conference our Hilo Marshallese Ministry was singled out for praise because of our hard work to help all the Marshallese people living on the Big Island.  I was so proud that Rev. Jetton received such a wonderful recognition.  Our Conference Minister Rev. Charles Buck told the entire group about how Rev. Jetton has been given access to about 5 acres where we are growing food to share with our poor Marshallese members, and when there is extra food, it is given to the local food banks and our local UCC Churches so they can distribute it to their folks in need too.

Outreach is our main purpose.  As a Medical Interpreter I work with a local Federally Certified Community Health Center called, Bay Clinic.  We work most with the Diabetes Management Class and help people to learn about how important food and exercise is to keeping them from the problems associated with Diabetes.  I serve as a supporter to Micronesians United - Big Island, and we are doing our best to help Micronesians become strong members of the greater Big Island community.

Although I do not proclaim or use my ordination (officially), I keep it close to my heart in all that I do.  I am very grateful for all your support over the years, and plan to take time to do more with our ULC seminary.  Perhaps I too will some day seek standing with the Hawai`i Conference, but I am already respected in my role as facilitator and interpreter for the Marshallese people here in Hawai`i.  For now, in my own quiet way, I am proud to be ordained with ULC, and continue to share many concepts and philosophies with our "very traditional" Marshallese Christian brothers and sisters. 

Mahalo,

Keola


Mour ion Iiål eo an ej rol lok ñôn iloan Bôñôrñôr in No.
Môkôjkôj eo an ej an Aenômman ilo bar juôn Iien.
Ber eo an Lôl in im an Armij otemjelok
Ej kakåål lok ilo aolep Iien aer jab aikwôj ber måke.
(Jen Ukôk in Nan ko jen Tao Te Ching ilo Kajin Majôl)

Life on it's path returns towards inside the spray of the wave.
It's quickness is it's quietness at some other time.
Life on this planet and all of the people without exception
Renews at every moment their not needing to be alone.
(from my transliterations of the Tao Te Ching into Marshallese)

Dr. Keola G.A. Downing, Ph.D. Voice (808) 965-9008     Cell (808) 987-2427
Web Site: http://ulbobo.com/keola       :-)             E-mail: 
keola@hilobay.com

15-113 Ui Ui Street
Pahoa, Hawai`i
                                        96778-8583              


As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  As an ordained minister with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning, I've enjoyed watching the continual growth of the seminary.